Saturday

IFCO's TRIM BIN: Discussions on Contemporary Celluloid Practices


"IT'S SOOO CANADIAN".

I don't want to call myself an expert on what shapes national identity. I am an immigrant and my cultural boundaries are in a constant state of mutation, creating new dynamic relationships with the environment I am now in. However, I was told once "do not lose your Russianness". So, even though I am floating in indecisiveness regarding who I am, I possess "Russianness" that is an indistinguishable part of my  identity.

If we blew up the scale of an identity map from a single individual to the whole country, we would see that "Canadianness" persists the same way as my "Russianness" does. Culture caught on celluloid becomes fixed filmic evidence, similar to that of a scene in a suspense film; where one can search for the elusive clues of what "Canadianness" means. Now, I am on a mission, on my new personal quest to try and formulate my own definition of "Canadianness". I will keep you posted on how this investigation unfolds.

Truly yours,
Irina Lyubchenko

No comments:

Post a Comment