Wednesday

FILM MATTERS - GO TO KODAK AND HAVE YOUR SAY!










HIGH ON D-76!
By Sasha Vreca

For sometime now I‘ve been involved with the analogue medium; experiencing both a strong love and respect for the craft as well as a slight perplexion at times. This sentiment is apparently somewhat mutually expressed by many passionate amateur and professional artists working within this classic medium. With the market takeover of digital technology however, there seems to be some pressure to explain why we still practice this traditional process.  

 I was asking that same question at an earlier time when I was first initiated to the process. “Why bother” I would tell myself while tossing and turning a container of D-76 Developer with my 35mm film in it.  “Why bother going through this long process of measuring, shooting, developing, washing and drying; only to fail and repeat the whole thing over again. Such labour for a few images I haven’t seen or approved yet!?…this is madness!”


I was fast to change my thoughts on the topic when I first witnessed my long awaited image appearing out of darkness before me. There was an interesting moment of bliss as the silver halide crystals were being transformed and the pellicule began showing its hidden content. Or I might have just been high on the chemical vapours, but I digress.

Following that moment, a strong sense of appreciation and respect had replaced the perplexing confusion. It was as if the sweat and tears that went into the production had paid off drop for drop.  This is at the core of why I work with celluloid; of course there are several other reasons such as the aesthetic and symbolic quality of film.  I consider manipulating film to be an effective method of learning the essential components of the medium. It nurtures the culture around one’s fascination with moving images, teaches discipline and fosters respect for an art form that’s been around for an outstanding time and probably will be for much longer, regardless of technological changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment