Monday

IFCO Member's Profile

Name: Deniz Berkin
Films: see www.awakeatdawn.com

 










1. Why make films? When did you realize wanted to make films?

I started making films when I was 14. I’ve always wanted to make films. I like to tell stories and nobody listens to me when I talk so I force them to sit in a dark room and I show them my stories. If they try to leave before the film is over, I may have to tie them to the chair.



2. What's your process of creation? Who's involved with it?

I am the only one involved with it. That way I don’t have to compromise. In every other aspect of life we have to compromise - work / relationships etc but when I make a movie, I like to live and learn with my own mistakes. And I make a lot of mistakes, that’s for sure. I’m not sure if I learn from them though.

3. When making films, do you think to adopt a certain style or common theme?
A lot of my films are about romance, although they may be sci-fi or drama or experimental or whatever there is usually some kind of a romance going on in the background. Don’t ask me why.

4. Where to do you look for inspiration?

I find inspiration from those who have risked it all on something then failed. We always hear about the artist or business man who took some huge chance then ended up reaping the rewards but the underbelly is those that risk and lose it all miserably and keep trying and trying.

5. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being a filmmaker in Ottawa?
Advantages:
Ottawa has IFCO, which is a great organization.

Disadvantages:
Ottawa is still a small town and I wish there were more people shooting film and a bigger film community.

6. What ultimately determines a good film in your opinion?
I love all sorts of independent short films. I have seen some by IFCO members that are really amazing and inspirational. I like foreign and independent feature films as well but sometimes they’re too depressing.

I like Hollywood films too. Although sometimes their sole purpose is to make money, it can be entertaining too. My favorite of that type is Scarface.

7. What is your personal mission statement?
Just chill out baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment